Something about me

Monday, September 10, 2012

Reading update

Lots of books have been read and digested! So, pretty good going for the last couple of months.
What have I read?
1. Schindler's List - Did not enjoy it. It was so-so, not nearly gripping enough. It was somewhat moving in parts, but I struggled to finish it.
2. Revolution 2020 by Chetan Bhagat - Enough said. Why did I even bother?
3. Several books by Jod Picoult - I started them all, gave them all up a quarter of the way through. Not my kind of storytelling. I don't care for very emotional books with characters on the cusp of major drama/life changing events or decision points. Too much hand-wringing, emotional upheavel and mental agonising is not something I like in my books! That's just me :)
4. The Immigrant by Manju Kapoor - I liked it. I've read her Difficult daughters before and enjoyed that as well.
5. The Help - Have been trying to lay my hands on this for a long time. Engaging and well-written. No sociological treatise, this one...don't expect any major revelations or insights. But a page-turner nonetheless.
6. The Shadow Princess - My fascination with Indu Sundaresan and Mughal India continues!! No disapoointments in this one, I was hooked from Page 1 right until the end as the story of ShahJahan and his daughter Jahanara unfolded.
7. Several books by Sophie Kinsella - A few pages into Confessions of a Shopoholic and I was thinking - what had I been thinking while ordering these books! I know I chortled my way through Bridget Jones but that when I was 20! The Shoopoholic series were a disaster but another book called The Undomestic Goddess was ok for my 9.30 pm reading when I just need words swimming before my eyes before I go off to la-la land :)
Any recos, people?

6 comments:

  1. wow..that's quite a list! I haven't been in touch with books for a long time now, so won't be able to do any recos :-( The only reading I do is on the net..I just got gifted a selection of short stories by Joseph Conrad..will let you know how it is..
    Guess, the resolution for the next year should be reading, reading and more reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it should be! Do let me know how the book was. I have never read Joseph Conrad.

      Delete
  2. Hey, have you read "The difficulty of being good" by Gurucharan Das? I'd reco it.
    p.s. can you remove the word captcha?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am yet to read any Indu Sundaresan. Been waiting to pick one up, have heard great things about her writing.

    I actually liked Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess. Yes, it is chick-lit, but was sensible at least. That was not the case with the other books by the same author that I read.

    As for book recos, here are some:

    1. The kite runner
    2. The bridges of Madison County
    3. A thousand days in Venice
    4. A thousand splendid suns
    5. 84, Charing Cross Road
    6. Any book by Frances Mayes
    7. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    8. Daddy Long Legs
    9. Notes from a small room (Ruskin Bond)
    10. Into the wild

    You might have read some of these books already...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and here are some more:

    The Girl Next Door, Things I Want My Daughters To Know by Elizabeth Noble

    The Rescue, The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, TGND!!! Have read a few of these, looking forward to the others :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts :)